Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

Treat of the Week: Recovery Pudding

Lately I've noticed that I've been getting exponentially more tired every day.  I know it shouldn't come as a huge surprise since my exercise level, work load, audition amount, etc. has started to pile on, but I still don't like it.  I mean, I'm eating a lot of really great calories and going to sleep earlier than I have in years in the effort to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night - but I'm still totally beat by the end of each day.

I've noticed that it all begins after our Insanity workouts (stay tuned, that's a later post).  Some people feel totally alive and ready to tackle the world after an hour of ridiculously intense cardio and/or weight training but, honestly, it just makes me want to fall on the couch and melt into oblivion.  I feel like I don't have the sufficient amount of energy to accomplish what needs to be done throughout the day.  So, I turned to Brendan Brazier, the Ironman triathlete, Ultra Marathon Champion, and author of The Thrive Diet, for advice.  On page 126, I found a recovery pudding recipe which sounded like a filling amount of healthy calories that will hopefully help my body bounce back directly after a tough workout.  For those who don't own the book, here's the recipe:
  1. 2 bananas (fresh or frozen; we chose to use frozen to keep it cold and refreshing)
  2. 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen; we also chose to use frozen)
  3. 1/2 cup soaked almonds (we didn't soak ours but I recommend that you do - it's easier on your blender/food processor)
  4. 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (again, we used Bob's - see the Pumpkin Muffin recipe for details)
  5. 1/4 cup hemp protein (you can get a good brand at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's)
  6. 1/4 cup roasted carob powder (we used Navitas Naturals Raw Cacao Powder from Whole Foods)
  7. 2 tsp ground rooibos (a caffeine free herbal plant used to make tea - we didn't use it)
  8. 1 tsp lemon juice (we nixed this one as well because I don't enjoy lemon juice)
  9. 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients; process until smooth
  • This pudding will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, but it's best when eaten fresh
  • Makes 2 servings
We tried the pudding for the first time today and it was definitely refreshing, very flavorful, and surprisingly filling.  I'm not sure of the effect this will have on my energy but, in addition to drinking more water than usual, it couldn't hurt.  I'll be happy to update everyone!  I know there are lots of people  out there who are athletes, exercise freaks, dancers, bikers, etc. so give this a try and let us all know what you think!  Happy and healthy living to you all!

1 comment:

  1. You should try the lemon... I'm not a fan either, but in juices (fruit or vegetable) it really is a nice addition. Doesn't make it lemony, believe it or not.

    ReplyDelete